Can swearing help me cope with pain?

While you should avoid it front of the kids, research shows that your brain and body cope better with what’s bothering you when you swear! In one study, researchers had people dip their hands in an ice bath. Participants who swore were able to tolerate the pain better. It seems swearing increased those participants’ heart rates, which may trigger a fight-or-flight response, allowing the body to tolerate or even ignore pain. You can even start a swear jar and double the benefits!

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

What exercises should I avoid if I experience sciatic nerve pain?
During a sciatic "flare up," it may be best to rest for a day or two. However, be sure to avoid exte...
Can anger help me deal with my pain?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Anger is one of the most common and least productive ways in which we deal with our pain. Since it i...
What are conservative ways to manage pain?
Juan P. Villablanca, MDJuan P. Villablanca, MD
There are a number of conservative ways to manage pain. These include massage therapy, physical ther...
How can I prevent pain while sleeping?
To help prevent pain while sleeping, make sure your mattress is on the firm, less-saggy side, and ch...