Can anger help me deal with my pain?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Anger is one of the most common and least productive ways in which we deal with our pain. Since it is such a strong emotion, it can mask many other less comfortable things we may be feeling - like fear, vulnerability, and heartache. It is also a way for us to project that pain onto others. On some warped subconscious level, we think that by passing the pain along, we are getting rid of it ourselves.

When we send negativity back in the form of punishment to those we think have offended us, we feel we have somehow restored order to the universe. This is just stupid. Emotional pain, in all its manifestations, does not diminish as it is spreads from one person to another. Like love, it increases by sharing with others, so hurting someone else to make yourself feel better never works.

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

Can swearing help me cope with pain?
While you should avoid it front of the kids, research shows that your brain and body cope better...
How does central pain syndrome affect the body?
Central pain syndrome is not a condition without cause. It is the result of an illness or injury...
What exercises should I avoid if I experience sciatic nerve pain?
During a sciatic "flare up," it may be best to rest for a day or two. However, be sure to avoid exte...
Is central pain syndrome serious?
For those who live with chronic and often excruciating pain, central pain syndrome may not be life t...