What type of exercise can I do if I have osteoporosis?

Eric Olsen
Women with osteoporosis will want to be especially careful in choosing activities that won't overstress weakened bones. Low-impact aerobics, exercise classes in water, and walking are ideal. Light weight training is very effective in preserving bone mineral density, and there is good evidence that such training can even reverse the course of the disease. However, weight training should be approached with extreme caution if severe osteoporosis has already developed, and you'll want to check with your physician before taking it up. You may also want to be cautious about undertaking any activities that increase the risk of falls.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

More About this Book

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Living With Osteoporosis

What kinds of exercise can help osteoporosis?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Even after you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, exercise can help strengthen your bones. Weigh...
More Answers
Can osteoporosis drugs cause jaw problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In some patients who have taken certain osteoporosis medications, a condition known as osteonecr...
More Answers
How can exercise help to manage osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Calcium alone cannot build bone unless it is combined with a consistent exercise program. Exerci...
More Answers
Osteoporosis Drugs May Also Fight Cancer
Osteoporosis Drugs May Also Fight Cancer

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.