Can osteoporosis drugs cause jaw problems?

In some patients who have taken certain osteoporosis medications, a condition known as osteonecrosis of the jaw (also called ONJ) has been reported. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that can cause severe damage to the jawbone. If you have osteoporosis or are at high risk for bone breaks, the benefits of these medications greatly outweigh the low risk of developing osteonecrosis of the jaw.

Continue Learning about Living With Osteoporosis

How do I manage my osteoporosis on a daily basis?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
The following are some suggestions to help you manage osteoporosis: Get enough calcium -- dietary ...
How can fractures from osteoporosis be prevented?
Nutrition, exercise and lifestyle factors can help prevent fractures. Calcium and vitamin D are impo...
How people with osteoporosis prevent falls?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
It is estimated that one-third of all persons 60 years old and older suffer falls each year - fa...
Osteoporosis Drugs May Also Fight Cancer