Why is it important to maintain a healthy weight if I have osteoarthritis?

It is important to maintain a healthy weight if you have osteoarthritis. Losing just one pound of body weight takes four pounds of pressure off your knee joints, so weight loss benefits quickly add up. Plus, inflammatory chemicals made by fatty tissue may be part of the cause of osteoarthritis. As a bonus, losing weight helps reduce your risk of other health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. It also boosts energy, mood and self-esteem. The best way to shed pounds is by balancing healthy eating habits with regular exercise. You don't have to get to a normal weight to see improvement. Many studies have shown that even a modest weight loss, such as a 10% reduction in body weight, is associated with significant health benefits.

Continue Learning about Living with Osteoarthritis

How can fatigue affect my osteoarthritis?
Fatigue can affect your osteoarthritis (OA) by making your sore joints hurt even more. What then...
How is osteoarthritis a major cause of disability?
Arthritis in all its forms, including osteoarthritis (OA), is the number one cause of disability...
If I Have Psoriasis, Will I Also Have Psoriatic Arthritis?
How to Avoid Knee Surgery With Osteoarthritis