What does the strength of quadriceps have to do with knee osteoarthritis?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Strong quadriceps muscles can help both prevent and treat knee osteoarthritis (OA). Your quadriceps muscle is the large muscle at the front of your thigh. It's the strongest muscle in your body and it's the muscle that moves your knee joint.

Research shows that women with strong quadriceps muscles are less likely to develop knee OA than women with weaker quadriceps. Strong quads benefit men as well, but the impact on OA isn't as dramatic. If you already have knee OA, strengthening your quadriceps even a little may help reduce pain and keep your knees from getting worse.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Strong quadriceps help ease the pain of knee-joint osteoarthritis (OA).

The quadricep muscles help support and stabilize the knee. Strengthening these muscles may also reduce the stiffness of knee osteoarthritis. One study found that strengthening quadriceps, located in the front of the thigh, was particularly helpful at reducing the burden of disability, dependency and cost of osteoporosis in the elderly. Physical therapy can help strengthen quadriceps muscles. 

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Strong quadriceps, or the thigh muscles that put the knee joint into motion, have been linked to lower rates of stiff or painful knee osteoarthritis in women. Research suggests the stronger the quadriceps muscle, the better at preventing knee problems.

Continue Learning about Living with Osteoarthritis

Can adverse effects of medications complicate my osteoarthritis?
Side effects from medication will not complicate your osteoarthritis, but some drugs used to tre...
How can I get disability income if I have osteoarthritis?
You may be able to get disability income if you have osteoarthritis. You may be eligible if:You cann...
How Can Exercise Help Me Manage Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?