Is osteoarthritis considered a pre-existing condition?

Osteoarthritis (OA) may be considered a pre-existing condition. If you change jobs or insurers and are already receiving treatment for OA, your new health insurance company may consider it a pre-existing condition. Whether you will be denied coverage or charged a higher premium depends on your health plan. Health insurance issuers and employer plans use different definitions.

However, under the Affordable Care Act, denying coverage or excluding benefits due to a pre-existing condition will no longer be allowed. For children under 19, this new protection begins this fall. For everyone else, this protection will be in place by 2014. 
If you have osteoarthritis (OA) and switch health insurance companies, your OA might be considered a preexisting condition. In that case, the insurance company might refuse to pay for your OA drugs and related medical expenses for a specified time period (usually anywhere from three months to a year). This is a complicated issue, because the laws covering preexisting conditions vary from state to state and are affected by national changes in the Affordable Care Act of 2010. Check with the customer service department of your new insurer or the human resources department of your new employer to learn about your options.

Continue Learning about Living with Osteoarthritis

How does osteoarthritis affect quality of life?
Researchers have long known that quality of life can be significantly affected in people who hav...
Why is it important to maintain a healthy weight if I have osteoarthritis?
It is important to maintain a healthy weight if you have osteoarthritis. Losing just one pound of bo...
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?