What relaxation techniques help manage pain from multiple sclerosis?

Fortunately there are many different relaxation techniques you can learn. Controlled breathing exercises, such as deep breathing and diaphragmatic breathing, form the basis of many techniques and are among the easiest to learn and use. Other types of relaxation skills require using your imagination, or tensing and releasing muscle groups.

You may need to try several techniques to find the ones that work best for you. Whatever you choose, practice your relaxation exercises regularly until they become a habit. That way, when you are experiencing pain, stress, fatigue or insomnia, they will be easier to apply. There are many free or inexpensive sources for learning relaxation skills.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
For patients managing multiple sclerosis, adopting long-term, healthy lifestyle behaviors may help manage symptoms and improve quality of life. One of...
Will I go through a period of denial during an MS diagnosis?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
You may also go through a period of denial, refusing to believe the diagnosis. The doctor must be wr...
What can I do if fatigue from MS is affecting my sex life?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Communication is essential to cope with changes in sexual intimacy and roles with men and women with...
Is Depression a Common Symptom or Co-Condition of Multiple Sclerosis?