What are some examples of impairment-related work expenses if I have MS?

Some examples of impairment-related work expenses (IRWE) for the disabled person are:
  • The cost of structural or operational modifications to your vehicle that you need in order to travel to work, even if you also use the vehicle for non-work purposes.
  • The cost of driver assistance or taxi service that is required because of your disability rather than the lack of public transportation.
  • Services performed to help you prepare for work, the trip to and from work, and after work; for example, bathing, dressing, cooking, and eating.
  • Medical devices, including wheelchairs.
  • If you are employed outside the home, modifications to the exterior of your house that permit access to the street, such as exterior ramps and pathways.
  • If you are self-employed at home, modifications made to create a workspace to accommodate your impairment. This includes enlarging a doorway into an office.
  • Work equipment such as an adapted workstation or modified computer keyboard.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
What role does diet play in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Dr. Kulreet K. Chaudhary, MDDr. Kulreet K. Chaudhary, MD
Can your diet make your multiple sclerosis symptoms better or worse? In this WisePatient video, inte...
How does MS affect thinking and reasoning skills in children?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Researchers know that multiple sclerosis (MS) affects myelin development at a critical time for chil...
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?