How does primary-progressive multiple sclerosis affect the body?

Primary-progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS) affects your body similarly to other forms of multiple sclerosis (MS). It is a disease that alters the functioning of your nervous system by damaging the protective layer that surrounds your body's nerves, called the myelin sheath. After the myelin sheath is damaged, it's harder for the nerves to transmit signals throughout your body. That's why there is such a wide range of symptoms associated with MS. MS also causes lesions in your brain and spinal cord, and people with PPMS tend to have more lesions in their spinal cord than their brain.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
How can I create more intimacy in my relationship if I have MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have MS, symptoms such as decreased sensation, pain, fatigue, depression and decreased sex dr...
Why should I consult a physical therapist before exercising if I have MS?
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), exercises designed to improve necessary functional skills are e...
What New Drug Therapies Treat Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?