Having MS, what part of the body is commonly affected by weakness?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
On either a temporary or permanent basis, weakness is very common. It usually affects one leg, but after many years may involve both. The patient occasionally experiences weakness in one or both hands. (As a symptom, weakness should be distinguished from lack of energy, or fatigue.)The most common weakness is when one leg feels heavy at the hip and the patient has difficulty lifting the leg later in the day, after too much standing or walking. It is especially evident while stepping up curbs and going up stairs. Less commonly, weakness occurs when the patient lifts the foot. This is evident with the tendency of the foot to drag when the leg is tired.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
What should I consider when flying if I'm in a wheelchair due to MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
When you book a flight, immediately make the airline aware of your disability and your needs. Often,...
Why should I consult a therapist before I use an assistive device for MS?
It is not advisable to purchase or use an assistive device for ambulation, such as a walker, electri...
What Are the Best Ways to Fight MS Fatigue?