How can software help people with MS cope with cognitive dysfunction?

Multiple sclerosis (MS) can often cause cognitive dysfunctions and learning impairments that make it challenging to work in Word, schedule appointments in Outlook, or work in Excel spreadsheets. There are tools you can use to help you stay focused.

In Word, you can add auto-correct entries for words that you frequently misspell. These auto-correct entries will also apply to e-mail messages that you compose in Outlook.

If you do better hearing words rather than reading them, have Narrator read the words back to you.

To start Narrator:
  1. Press WIN KEY+U.
  2. Press ALT+N.
To stop Narrator:
  1. Press ALT+TAB, until the Microsoft. Narrator window is selected.
  2. Press ALT+X.
  3. Confirm your decision to close. Narrator by pressing Y for Yes.
Screen review utilities speak on-screen text and highlight the words as they are spoken. By converting the text to a computer voice, it often helps some people who have language impairments by offering a visual aid along with an audio stimulus.

To learn more about how to implement these features, and to learn more about other assistive technology go to: http://www.microsoft.com/enable/.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
How can I manage symptoms of restless legs syndrome if I have MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The following are some ways of managing symptoms of restless leg syndrome (RLS) in people with multi...
How can I prepare for a doctor's appointment if I have multiple sclerosis?
Did you know that the length of an average doctor's visit is seven minutes? While you may spend ...
What Are the Best Ways to Fight MS Fatigue?