How can numbness from multiple sclerosis (MS) affect my sense of balance?

One form of numbness is the loss of position sense, or what we call proprioception. Normal proprioception is important for maintaining balance and coordination. If a person cannot tell that they are tilting in one direction or the other, they tend to walk like they are a little tipsy. There is also a higher risk of falling. This type of sensory loss is best treated by a physical therapist.

In severe cases, numbness can interfere with a person's ability to function normally. Caution is required for the individual to maintain safety and independence. For example, individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) who have severe facial numbness must be careful when eating or chewing in order to avoid biting their mouth and /or tongue. They must exercise caution with temperature of food and drink to avoid burning their mouth. In addition, those who experience numbness in their arms and legs should be especially careful around fire, hot water, and other sources of heat to avoid being burned.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
How can cognitive decline in multiple sclerosis (MS) be prevented?
Charles R. Smith, MDCharles R. Smith, MD
Early aggressive treatment to prevent the accumulation of new lesions may slow cognitive impairment,...
How can I avoid overheating if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
It's easy to work cooling strategies into your life in order to avoid overheating. Many people with ...
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?