How can numbness from multiple sclerosis (MS) affect my sense of balance?

One form of numbness is the loss of position sense, or what we call proprioception. Normal proprioception is important for maintaining balance and coordination. If a person cannot tell that they are tilting in one direction or the other, they tend to walk like they are a little tipsy. There is also a higher risk of falling. This type of sensory loss is best treated by a physical therapist.

In severe cases, numbness can interfere with a person's ability to function normally. Caution is required for the individual to maintain safety and independence. For example, individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) who have severe facial numbness must be careful when eating or chewing in order to avoid biting their mouth and /or tongue. They must exercise caution with temperature of food and drink to avoid burning their mouth. In addition, those who experience numbness in their arms and legs should be especially careful around fire, hot water, and other sources of heat to avoid being burned.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
How can I practice mindfulness if I have an active mind?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Many people ask themselves if they can practice mindfulness, believing that if they have an active m...
How can self-monitoring help me manage pain caused by multiple sclerosis?
Self-monitoring entails keeping track of things you want to understand, manage or change. In pain ma...
How Can I Improve My Sexual Function with Multiple Sclerosis?