How does MS affect thinking and reasoning skills in children?

Researchers know that multiple sclerosis (MS) affects myelin development at a critical time for children, and that cognitive (thinking and knowing) dysfunction such as attention, memory, and language impairment is likely. However, some scientists also believe that the elastic nature of a younger mind may mean that children are able to compensate for some of these deficits as their brain develops.

A study conducted at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto found that the best indicator of cognitive dysfunction in children with MS was their Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score. Their number of relapses and how long they had MS also seemed to play a role. The children reported MS-related challenges in school, such as difficulty with learning, memory and concentration.

Continue Learning about Living With Multiple Sclerosis

4 Ways to Work Out When You Have Multiple Sclerosis
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), you may feel as though maintaining a fitness routine is more than you can handle—after all, simply getting around...
What can I do to prepare for a phone call when I need specific information?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you need specific information, before you pick up the phone, review written materials first, if a...
How can I get the most from my doctor appointment if I have MS?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
The time spent with your doctor during a consultation for multiple sclerosis (MS) may be brief, ...
How Can People with Multiple Sclerosis Maintain Fitness?