Living With Multiple Sclerosis

How can I avoid overheating if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

• It's easy to work cooling strategies into your life in order to avoid overheating. Many people with multiple sclerosis (MS) find it invigorating to exercise in cool water, and schedule their swims for the early morning. Others find relief in a brisk shower or cold beverages. If you've noticed your symptoms get worse when you are warm, look for simple steps to avoid unnecessary heat. Instead of warming up your kitchen with a traditional oven or sweating over a stovetop, try cooking your dinner in the microwave or a toaster oven.

If lifestyle changes aren't enough, there are many cooling products on the market, including wristbands, neckties, hats and vests, which are available at a low cost. You can even make your own using inexpensive items found at your local craft store.
How long does it take for secondary-progressive MS to develop?