Why is reading food labels important if I need to reduce my salt intake?

Melissa Stinson, NP
Nephrology
If you need to reduce your salt intake, be sure to read the nutrition labels on the food you purchase. Avoid items containing more than 20% of the recommended daily value of sodium. Sodium is often used as a preservative in canned, packaged and frozen foods, so buying fresh is optimal. If you do purchase prepackaged foods, choose items marked sodium/salt free, low/reduced sodium or no salt added.

Continue Learning about Living With Kidney Disease

How much salt can my child eat if he has kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Most children tend to consume excess salt in their diets, since busy parents often rely on processed...
What causes sexual problems in people with kidney failure?
If you have kidney failure and are experiencing sexual problems, it may be difficult for you to dete...
Which medications might be risky for someone with kidney disease?
There are five common types of prescription and over-the-counter medications that may need to be adj...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?