Is it safe to eat Southern-style foods if I have chronic kidney disease?

Researchers say foods labeled as Southern-style could lead to a higher risk of death for people with chronic kidney disease. That’s the conclusion of medical experts who analyzed the diet patterns of close to 4,000 adults with chronic kidney disease (but who had not started dialysis). The researchers found that adults who ate a Southern-style diet, primarily fried or processed meats and sugary beverages, had a 50% increase in their risk of death in less than seven years. The study also found that consuming more fruits and vegetables is linked to improved survival.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Kidney Disease

If I have kidney disease, can other medications cause harmful side effects?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Medications save and improve lives, but it can be easy to overlook their risks and side effects, esp...
Why should I be careful with antimicrobial drugs if I have kidney disease?
Your antimicrobial medications may need to be adjusted or replaced if you have kidney disease. Many ...
How can I leach the potassium from vegetables if I have CKD?
To keep your potassium level from getting too high if you have chronic kidney disease (CKD), try lea...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?