How are sexual problems due to anxiety over kidney disease treated?

Feeling worried, anxious or depressed is normal when faced with a serious condition like kidney disease or kidney failure. This can cause loss of energy and lower interest in many activities, including sex. If a sexual problem does occur, embarrassment and guilt often follow. Fear that the problem will happen again may cause the person to shy away from sexual situations.

Relaxation exercises can help to control these fears. Regular physical exercise and activity help keep the mind busy and can improve physical condition and body image.

If sexual problems continue, sex therapy can help. Even if the problem is psychological, some of the treatment options mentioned for physical problems may be helpful.

Continue Learning about Living With Kidney Disease

How safe is it to have sex if I have kidney failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Some couples dealing with kidney failure may worry that sexual activity could cause the affected per...
What should I include in an exercise program if I have kidney disease?
If you have kidney disease and are planning an exercise program, you need to look at a few things: ...
As an older adult, how can I manage kidney disease with diet and exercise?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Exercise and weight control can help manage kidney disease by reducing the likelihood of developing ...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?