How will kidney failure affect my sex life?

It's important to remember that people with kidney failure can have healthy marriages and meaningful relationships: falling in love, caring for families, and being sexual. Staying intimate with those you love is important. It's something everyone needs.

Many people think that sexuality refers only to sexual intercourse. But sexuality includes many things, like touching, hugging, or kissing. It includes how you feel about yourself, how well you communicate, and how willing you are to be close to someone else.

There are many things that can affect your sexuality if you have kidney disease or kidney failure: hormones, nerves, body image, energy levels, even medicine. But there are also things you and your healthcare team can do to deal with these changes. Don't be afraid to ask questions or get help from a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Living With Kidney Disease

Why is reading food labels important if I need to reduce my salt intake?
Melissa Stinson, NPMelissa Stinson, NP
If you need to reduce your salt intake, be sure to read the nutrition labels on the food you purchas...
How safe is it to have sex if I have kidney failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Some couples dealing with kidney failure may worry that sexual activity could cause the affected per...
If I have kidney disease, can other medications cause harmful side effects?
Medications save and improve lives, but it can be easy to overlook their risks and side effects, esp...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?