How does irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) pain affect quality of life?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
The effort to cope with pain related to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) leads to stress-related symptoms, fatigue, sleep difficulties and problems with appetite and weight control. Relationships with friends, coworkers and family often suffer. Fear, anxiety, physical tension and depression are common in IBS and can actually increase abdominal pain and discomfort. A vicious cycle begins as your pain leads to psychological distress, which leads back to more pain and increased sensitivity to pain.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection: 8 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functiona (The Mind-Body Connection Series)

One in five people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, or other functional bowel disorders. As a result, irritable bowel syndrome is the second leading cause of worker absenteeism. This...

Irritable bowel syndrome can be not only uncomfortable, but it can affect the quality of your life in other ways. Your professional life may be affected by the amount of missed workdays that are caused by irritable bowel syndrome. In fact, people who have irritable bowel syndrome have three times as many workplace absences as those without the disorder. It may also affect your sex life. The uncomfortable symptoms can cause sex to seem unappealing. Irritable bowel syndrome can even affect your social life. The frustration of dealing with your symptoms while you're away from home may prevent you from scheduling activities.

Continue Learning about Living With IBS

What should I know about caring for someone with irritable bowel syndrome?
If you're caring for someone with irritable bowel syndrome, keep in mind that they may be embarrasse...
How may irritable bowel syndrome affect the rest of my body?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The following are whole body symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Fatigue and low energy I...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?