What is the life expectancy of a child who has hydrocephalus?

Aria Fallah, MD
Neurosurgery
Children often have a full life span if hydrocephalus is caught early and treated. Infants who undergo surgical treatment to reduce the excess fluid in the brain and survive to age 1 will not have a shortened life expectancy due to hydrocephalus. 

Continue Learning about Living With Hydrocephalus

How does hydrocephalus affect my quality of life?
Hydrocephalus can affect your cognitive and physical abilities, which can impact your quality of lif...
What is the prognosis of normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The symptoms of normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) usually get worse over time if the condition is ...
How do I care for an older adult with acquired hydrocephalus?
Acquired hydrocephalus can affect anyone at any age after birth and is caused by other condition...
How will acquired hydrocephalus affect my lifestyle?
Hydrocephalus affects everyone in varying degrees. For example, if a child has this condition for a ...