What do I need to know about caring for someone with hydrocephalus?

When caring for someone with hydrocephalus, it is very important to monitor the symptoms of hydrocephalus on a daily basis. Any dramatic change in physical or mental capabilities could signal a problem and require immediate medical treatment.

If the person you are caring for has been treated with a shunt to drain the fluid built up in their brain, their shunt will require daily cleaning and care. Children and adults whose physical or cognitive abilities have been affected by hydrocephalus may require daily or weekly therapy appointments to treat the impairment.

Hydrocephalus can be an overwhelming disorder. It may be useful to find a support group to help with the emotional affects of caring for someone with hydrocephalus.

Continue Learning about Living With Hydrocephalus

How do I manage acquired hydrocephalus on a daily basis?
Since acquired hydrocephalus is treated with surgical procedures, this condition does not necessaril...
Are there any coping resources for someone with hydrocephalus?
Coping resources for people and families affected by hydrocephalus can be found through hospitals, g...
What is the life expectancy of a child who has hydrocephalus?
Aria Fallah, MDAria Fallah, MD
Children often have a full life span if hydrocephalus is caught early and treated. Infants who under...
How does hydrocephalus affect my quality of life?
Hydrocephalus can affect your cognitive and physical abilities, which can impact your quality of lif...