Does smoking make glaucoma worse?

The scientific literature is inconclusive with regard to a relationship between smoking and the development or progression of glaucoma. Most of these studies that have been performed have either flawed methodology or lack evidence of a relationship. Some smaller case-controlled studies do suggest that perhaps the risk of developing glaucoma is higher in those who smoke. Although the evidence linking smoking with glaucoma is limited due to the studies that have been performed, there is clear evidence linking smoking to other eye diseases. Therefore, I do warn patients regarding the dangers of smoking and recommend that they consider cessation programs to help them quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Living With Glaucoma

Is over-the-counter sleep medication safe to take with glaucoma?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
Many over-the-counter medications have warnings for patients with glaucoma. These medications can sh...
What are the dietary recommendations for someone with glaucoma?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
For chronic glaucoma' a generally healthful diet is recommended with a focus on foods high in vitami...
How do I manage my glaucoma on a daily basis?
There are many simple ways to manage your glaucoma on a daily basis. If you are suffering from glauc...
How is glaucoma monitored?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Each year, patients with glaucoma (a group of eye diseases that cause vision loss through damage to ...