What are some impacts of epilepsy on daily life?

Epilepsy has some impacts on daily life, so when people first find out they have epilepsy they might have to make some changes to their usual activities. For example, it’s important that they don’t have a bath or go swimming by themselves just in case they have a seizure while they're in the water. But as long as people are responsible, careful, and safe, they can still do all the things they love. Tons of people with epilepsy live active and independent lives.

Even when it is controlled, epilepsy can affect a person's daily life because it is so unpredictable.

The disorder can affect decisions ranging from where people with the condition decide to go for a dip, what occupation they pursue or where they decide to live. States across the nation have different rules regarding epileptic drivers. Some require drivers with epilepsy to be seizure-free for a certain number of months before they are allowed to get behind the wheel.

People with epilepsy also can experience feelings of social isolation because they lack control over their body and brain, and worry about what others will think of their seizures.

Epilepsy can have negative impacts on daily life. For example, people with epilepsy may not be allowed to drive or operate heavy machinery.

Continue Learning about Living With Epilepsy (Living With Seizures)

What are seizure assistance dogs?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Seizure assistance dogs are dogs that are specially trained to help people with epilepsy. They bark ...
What can I do to manage my epilepsy?
There are many things you can do to manage your seizure disorder, also known as epilepsy, on a dail...
What is the benefit of having a seizure assistance dog?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The benefit of having a seizure assistance dog is that with seizure assistance dogs by their side, p...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a seizure disorder?
If you are caring for someone with a seizure disorder, also known as epilepsy, it is important to un...