What is watchful waiting for BPH?

Watchful waiting for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) -- enlarged prostate -- involves no active treatment, but this does not mean that no action is taken. Men who are advised to use this strategy need to pay close attention to their symptoms and to get regular checkups from their primary healthcare practitioner who will monitor the progress of symptoms, conduct a physical exam, and order a few, simple lab tests to check for unsuspected problems. Patients also must take an active role in preventing the need for future treatment by, for example, changing some lifestyle behaviors.

Continue Learning about Living With An Enlarged Prostate

How can a sitz bath help relieve BPH symptoms?
A sitz bath is a common form of hydrotherapy that may be used to relieve benign prostatic hyperp...
What are the risks of watchful waiting for BPH?
There are few risks with watchful waiting for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). There is not e...
What medications should I avoid if I have an enlarged prostate?
Medications that may cause or worsen urinary symptoms in men with an enlarged prostate include antih...
How can exercise improve BPH?
The long-term Health Professionals Follow-Up Study has shown that physical activity levels are i...