What are the benefits of watchful waiting for BPH?

The primary benefit of watchful waiting for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate is that a man avoids treatment that may have significant, adverse side effects. For example, some adverse effects of alpha-blocker drugs include dizziness, fatigue, and lightheadedness. Likewise, finasteride (Proscar) may cause sexual difficulties, and surgery may result in bleeding, infections, impotence, and ejaculatory problems. Because it is unknown which side effects may affect each person, the best strategy for reducing the risk of complications is to forgo treatment.

Also, using a watchful-waiting approach may actually result in an improvement of symptoms over time. One study found that nearly one-half of men with symptomatic BPH improved when given a placebo. This suggests that improvement is, in part, a matter of perception. You can take advantage of the power of the placebo by making some changes in your lifestyle habits that may improve urinary function. Treatment should be taught when necessary.

Continue Learning about Living With An Enlarged Prostate

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have an enlarged prostate?
The need for follow-up surgery after an operation on an enlarged prostate depends on the kind of pro...
What can I do to manage my benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
What causes prostate enlargement is unknown, so there's no practical cure. However, there are medica...
How can I reduce pressure on my prostate if I have BPH?
Any pressure on the prostate can make benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) symptoms worse. Excess ...
How can a sitz bath help relieve BPH symptoms?
A sitz bath is a common form of hydrotherapy that may be used to relieve benign prostatic hyperp...