What lifestyle changes should I make if I have an enlarged prostate?

The need for follow-up surgery after an operation on an enlarged prostate depends on the kind of procedure you have done. The most popular surgical option is transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), which involves cutting out a portion of the prostate using a long tube inserted into the urethra. It's the most effective surgery for treating the symptoms of an enlarged prostate and thus requires the least amount of follow-up surgery. About one in 10 men who undergo this procedure repeat it within 10 years. Operations that don't require incisions aren't as effective at treating symptoms and thus open themselves up to more procedures down the road. Another option, inserting a small piece of metal or plastic called a stent into the urethra to hold it open and ease the flow of urine, tends to cause painful side effects and thus isn't considered a permanent treatment.

Continue Learning about Living With An Enlarged Prostate

What are the dietary recommendations for someone with an enlarged prostate?
Carmen Patrick Mohan, MDCarmen Patrick Mohan, MD
The same dietary and activity recommendations generally used to promote good health apply to those w...
Why is watchful waiting recommended for BPH?
Watchful waiting is recommended for men with mild symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
What can I do to manage my benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
What causes prostate enlargement is unknown, so there's no practical cure. However, there are medica...
What are the risks of watchful waiting for BPH?
There are few risks with watchful waiting for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). There is not e...