What are some tips for leading a healthy life with diabetes?

Phil Southerland
Healthcare Specialist

Managing your diabetes takes work: diet, exercise, determination. To help motivate you to do that work, come up with a reward, a prize you can keep your eye on. Maybe it’s a vacation for you and your family; a pair of earrings; a special day trip for you and your child.

Next, tell your family and friends about your goal. Explain why it’s important to you, and they just may help you stick to your plan.

Not Dead Yet: My Race Against Disease: From Diagnosis to Dominance

Part memoir, part sports adventure, Not Dead Yet tells the inspirational story of Phil Southerland’s battle with Type 1 diabetes and how from diagnosis to sheer determination, Phil Southerland beat...

The following are tips for leading a healthy life with diabetes:

• Understand that high blood glucose levels can cause serious complications.
  • Create a healthcare team, consisting of a knowledgeable diabetes care provider, a dietitian, a diabetes educator, doctors and other specialists.
  • Learn all you can about diabetes: read, ask lots of questions and attend diabetes education programs.
  • Keep up-to-date on diabetes research and equipment. Obtain the supplies you need to care for your diabetes.
  • Know yourself. Investigate whether fatigue, mood swings or other problems are related to your blood glucose levels.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
If you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, exercise is one of the best things you can do to offset diabetic damage to your heart and circulatory syst...
How can I manage meals on an airplane if I have diabetes?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Always drink plenty of water before, during, and after a flight. You can ...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
Are Complications of Diabetes Common?
Are Complications of Diabetes Common?