Is diabetes care covered by group health plans?

The American Diabetes Association has worked to pass health insurance provisions in 46 states that require fully insured health plans -- those regulated by state governments -- to provide coverage for diabetes medications, supplies, and services. These laws do not apply to policies that self-insure, as they are regulated through Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and the federal government.

Check with your employer to find out whether group coverage is available in your workplace. If health insurance coverage is available and you choose to elect it, you should receive a benefit plan summary explaining what will be included in your health plan. Be sure to find out what diabetes supplies and services are included in your health plan.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Can I Drink Alcohol if I Have Diabetes?
Can I Drink Alcohol if I Have Diabetes?
If you have diabetes, you’re likely up to speed on the many dos and don’ts that help you manage your condition: Do check your blood glucose and take y...
What are some healthy recipes for people with diabetes?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Mediterranean Chicken of Love, recipe by Chef Robert Lewis. (Makes about 6 cups, or 4 servings) ...
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
Keep your heart healthy with these diabetes-friendly lifestyle changes.
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?