If I have diabetes, how should I manage low blood sugar?

If you have low blood sugar, do these things:

Tell someone around you that you have low blood sugar. You might need help if you pass out.

Eat or drink 15 grams of carbohydrate. Here are a few ways to get about 15 grams:
  • A half cup of fruit juice
  • A piece of bread
  • 3 to 5 pieces of hard candy
If your blood sugar does not come up within 15 minutes, take in 15 more grams of carbohydrate.

If your blood sugar is still too low after 15 more minutes, you may need to see a doctor.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Your Diabetes-Friendly Shopping List
Your Diabetes-Friendly Shopping List
What can you eat when you have diabetes? A lot! Just print this diabetic food list and use it to find tons of delicious, healthy options. When you sto...
Is it safe for me to use birth control pills if I have diabetes?
If you have prediabetes or diabetes, talk with your doctor about whether the birth control pills Lev...
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
Keep your heart healthy with these diabetes-friendly lifestyle changes.
Does Being Overweight Increase My Risk of Type 2 Diabetes?