How can being assertive help with manage my diabetes?

One of the ways you can take charge of your diabetes is to learn to be assertive. Most conflicts do not arise out of differences of opinion but out of gaps in communication.

If you are unable to assert yourself, you might find it difficult to talk about your diet or how much time you need to take care of your diabetes. You may be reluctant to have your needs interfere with those of the people around you.

Assertive communication means that both your needs and the needs of the other person are equally important and respected. Assertive statements often begin with “I”. For example, “I find it helpful when you don’t keep chips in the house.” This statement is more effective than blaming or aggressive statements (“You always try to undermine everything I do”) or reacting passively and being inwardly resentful.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

How Do You Encourage Patients to Keep Their Diabetes Under Control?
Making lifestyle changes is an important part of managing diabetes. In this video, endocrinologist Jack Merendino, MD, explains how changing the way y...
What is self-management of diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Treating your diabetes means controlling your blood glucose. It also means treating any other he...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
What Kinds of Medications Are Used to Treat Type 2 Diabetes?