How can I manage my anger about having diabetes?

A good way to deal with anger and other bad feelings is to recognize the feelings, realize that they are common, and find ways to channel your energy. Here are some tips for managing anger:

• Start to keep track of your angry episodes and the events that trigger your anger.
  • If possible, keep notes or a journal.
  • After a few days or even weeks, sit down and review your observations. Try to figure out if there is any sort of pattern.
  • See if there are any particular situations or people that make you angry. Does your anger typically occur after sitting in a traffic jam? Does it occur when people start to ask you about your diabetes?

Sometimes just identifying the triggers may not be enough. You may also need to avoid those situations that make you angry. If you find yourself getting hot under the collar every time your spouse asks you about your blood glucose, don’t wait until things build up to an angry outburst. In a calm moment, explain that it bothers you. Let your spouse know how he or she can be helpful.

You may discover that you have angry feelings because you haven’t completely come to terms with your diabetes. If this is the case, think about joining a support group, talking with other people or seeking the help of a professional counselor.

You can let anger eat away at you and make you miserable, or you can think of it as unharnessed energy. Use that energy to do something positive. Your anger may be telling you that you are due for a change in your life.

Educate yourself about diabetes. Learn ways to handle anger without taking it out on others or yourself. For example, go for a walk, count to ten or walk away from the situation. Many people find that seeing a professional counselor can be helpful initially and as they live with diabetes.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Are There Any Precautions I Should Take When I Exercise with Diabetes?
How Is Type 1 Diabetes Different From Type 2?
What Are the Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes?
If I've Just Been Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, What's the First Thing I Should Do?