How can I manage my anger about having diabetes?

A good way to deal with anger and other bad feelings is to recognize the feelings, realize that they are common, and find ways to channel your energy. Here are some tips for managing anger:

• Start to keep track of your angry episodes and the events that trigger your anger.
  • If possible, keep notes or a journal.
  • After a few days or even weeks, sit down and review your observations. Try to figure out if there is any sort of pattern.
  • See if there are any particular situations or people that make you angry. Does your anger typically occur after sitting in a traffic jam? Does it occur when people start to ask you about your diabetes?

Sometimes just identifying the triggers may not be enough. You may also need to avoid those situations that make you angry. If you find yourself getting hot under the collar every time your spouse asks you about your blood glucose, don’t wait until things build up to an angry outburst. In a calm moment, explain that it bothers you. Let your spouse know how he or she can be helpful.

You may discover that you have angry feelings because you haven’t completely come to terms with your diabetes. If this is the case, think about joining a support group, talking with other people or seeking the help of a professional counselor.

You can let anger eat away at you and make you miserable, or you can think of it as unharnessed energy. Use that energy to do something positive. Your anger may be telling you that you are due for a change in your life.

Educate yourself about diabetes. Learn ways to handle anger without taking it out on others or yourself. For example, go for a walk, count to ten or walk away from the situation. Many people find that seeing a professional counselor can be helpful initially and as they live with diabetes.

Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinologist

Having a chronic disease like diabetes can be frustrating, but it doesn't help to let negative feelings get the best of you. In this video, Eliot LeBow, a psychotherapist who specializes in diabetes, shares a variety of techniques for dealing with anger about having diabetes.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Follow the 6 Steps of This Walking Plan for Diabetes
Walking is one of the easiest, low-impact exercises you can do. An exercise walking plan can help you get fit, feel more energized and reach fitness g...
How can I lose weight safely if I have diabetes?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
If you are overweight and have type two diabetes, weight loss can improve your blood glucose control...
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
Keep your heart healthy with these diabetes-friendly lifestyle changes.
What's My Role In Managing My Diabetes and What Is My Doctor's Role?