Are there laws governing how I dispose of my insulin needles?

Most states or localities have laws or regulations governing how to dispose of insulin needles and other "medical sharps." It is important for you to know your local regulations. Check with your local trash removal services or health department. In general, all medical sharps should be disposed of in special containers and should not be put in the general trash or recycling.
The state of California had a Sharps waste bill proposed in 2014 (AB 1393). This would have forced Californians to purchase a sharps can for every sharp (syringe, pen needle, lancet) they purchased, placing the burden of cost back on the patient and failing to address the real safety issue of illegal sharps. It was fought by patient advocates and failed, thanks to the power of patients using their voices. Unfortunately, five additional states in the U.S. have similar bills in their sights right now: Minnesota, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
If you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, exercise is one of the best things you can do to offset diabetic damage to your heart and circulatory syst...
How can I deal with the stress of living with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Excessive stress is a major barrier to effective glucose control and a danger to one’s general healt...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?
How Does an Insulin Pump Work?