Are juice fast diets safe for people with diabetes?

Although a juice fast can result in weight loss, it is not a safe method for weight control. Juice lacks many important nutrients to maintain good health, and it also increases blood glucose (sugar) levels.

Fasting on vegetable and fruit juices for two weeks may not be safe and effective for anyone, but especially for people with diabetes. It’s likely that many important nutrients would be missing from the fast. These juices do contain carbohydrates and can still increase blood glucose (sugar) levels.

The goal is for people to lose weight and keep it off. Fasting doesn't teach you how to eat healthfully and better manage your diabetes. Talk with a registered dietitian about establishing a personalized meal and exercise plan for blood glucose and weight control. Weight loss can be accomplished healthfully!

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicologist

No. These sorts of fasts and gimmicks are not safe for diabetics. The best diet for a diabetic is one that has your doctor's stamp of approval. Diabetes is as unique as the person who has the condition. One size doesn't work for all. Generally a well-balanced diet and exercise is what is needed. Your doctor can advise you on this and what medications you may need to live the healthiest life possible.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Protect Your Teeth and Gums From Diabetes
"The bacteria that live in your mouth love sugar," explains William DeVizio, DMD. "People with diabetes often have higher levels of sugar in their bod...
How can I manage my diabetes?
If you already have diabetes, managing the disease can lower your risk of complications such as kidn...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
Are There Any Precautions I Should Take When I Exercise with Diabetes?