How do cultural influences affect chronic neck and back pain?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
Whether it's about your health, political views, or religion, cultural influences have played a vital role in everything you have learned. And, although the transition from acute to chronic pain is highly dependent upon psychological factors, those very factors are highly dependent upon cultural influences. The beginning of the transition has more to do with cultural flaws than it does with a person's maladaptive psychological perspective. If a culture teaches and reinforces maladaptive behavior, then it is not psychologically inappropriate to exhibit that behavior. Displaying the very behavior that has constantly surrounded you, even in the face of poor results, makes you an innocent casualty of society's misperceptions, not simply a person with poor coping skills. How can you be expected to know the appropriate coping skill for your condition when you have never been taught or shown those skills? If we could go back in time and wipe clean the slate of today's cultural perspectives on neck and back pain, then rewrite the script, you'd see a totally different picture.

If you need evidence to illustrate the cultural impact on neck and back pain, look at the various subgroups of patients who have the same spines and the same problems but entirely different outcomes. People can be divided by how they think, into psychosocial groups, or by how much money they make, into socioeconomic groups. Merely documenting that being a woman, having less of an education, or making less money all represent increased risk factors for developing chronic pain doesn't explain the pain away; it simply emphasizes the importance of a cultural connection to these problems
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Living With Chronic Pain

How can keeping a journal help me manage my chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
So often in my life, when I'm working toward achieving a goal and getting hung up, I write about wha...
Can soy help relieve chronic pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
A diet high in soy products may be the answer for chronic pain sufferers in the not-to-distant f...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?
2 Tips to Relieve Chronic Pain Without Drugs