Why do some people with cancer find it difficult to follow healthy habits?

A person’s focus may change when cancer is diagnosed. For example, knowing that life is limited may make it difficult to stay motivated to follow healthy habits. In addition, the nausea and fatigue that can result from cancer treatment may not motivate you to do the right thing. Just getting up every day can be an effort.

There are people with cancer who find it difficult to follow healthy habits, like diet and exercise. This is a group of people who have never exercised. Doctors can advise, but until it is internalized by those individuals who are not used to exercising or eating well, it’s somewhat of an uphill battle to really stress the importance of weight control and exercise. People's ultimate goals in treatment and after treatment have to be internalized—how they're going to adapt dietary habits and exercise into their daily routine in the hopes that it’s going to potentially give them better survival and better recovery and function after treatment.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
What signs of cancer-related stress should I watch for?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you are experiencing a lot of stress in your life, you may notice physical side effects or change...
What care is available when the cancer cannot be cured?
Although treatments work for many children who have cancer, they do not work for all. If your child'...
What Are the Latest Advances in Cancer Treatment?