Why do some people with cancer find it difficult to follow healthy habits?

A person’s focus may change when cancer is diagnosed. For example, knowing that life is limited may make it difficult to stay motivated to follow healthy habits. In addition, the nausea and fatigue that can result from cancer treatment may not motivate you to do the right thing. Just getting up every day can be an effort.

There are people with cancer who find it difficult to follow healthy habits, like diet and exercise. This is a group of people who have never exercised. Doctors can advise, but until it is internalized by those individuals who are not used to exercising or eating well, it’s somewhat of an uphill battle to really stress the importance of weight control and exercise. People's ultimate goals in treatment and after treatment have to be internalized—how they're going to adapt dietary habits and exercise into their daily routine in the hopes that it’s going to potentially give them better survival and better recovery and function after treatment.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
How can I tell others about changes in my priorities since getting cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Talking with others about your priorities may not have been part of your life before cancer. You...
When can I expect to feel stress during my experience with cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Some cancer survivors may not feel a great deal of stress during their experience with cancer. H...
How Much Control Do You Have Over Your Risk of Cancer?