Why should I join a cancer support group?

A good support group for cancer survivors will generally touch on many things ranging from difficult challenges to inspirational stories. Members may laugh together and share all types of experiences and feelings. Many cancer survivors report that they feel much better after meeting with others who share their experiences. Problems can feel more manageable when you talk about them with other survivors who understand.

Each support group is unique. If the first group you try is not a good fit for your needs, try another one. Before you attend the first meeting, you may want to talk with a member of your health care team or the support group leader to find out if the specific group is likely to be appropriate for your needs. If it is not, they may be able to suggest another group that will be.

A support group should allow you to:

• Share experiences with other survivors
  • Learn new ways to handle difficult situations
  • Talk about your reactions and feelings to changes in your life.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Maintain Your Emotional Well-Being During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Multiple myeloma is a treatable disease, but not, at this point, a curable one. Even entry into remission doesn’t signal the end of worries and concer...
Why should I talk to other people with the same type of cancer as me?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Talking with others with the same type of cancer can be very helpful for some survivors. Those p...
How can cancer survivors improve their long-term health?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Cancer survivors can ask for a cancer-survivorship care plan, which summarizes their treatment histo...
How Is Genetic Research Paying Off for Today's Patients?