When should I tell my doctor about cancer-related pain?

If you are a cancer survivor, it's important to tell your doctor or nurse if you experience a new pain or the pain changes and feels different to you. Let them know right away if you develop painful swelling (lymphedema) in an arm or leg.

Contact your healthcare team right away if you feel pain, numbness, tingling, or a burning sensation in your hands or feet. Also, let your doctor know if your current pain medications stop working or are not working as well as they once did.

It is important to get the best treatment possible. If pain becomes severe, it can become more difficult to manage. Keep a record of your pain. Take this information to your appointments with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Caregiver Corner: Coping With Cancer in the Family
Caregiver Corner: Coping With Cancer in the Family
If cancer has caused you or someone else in your family to become a caregiver, you already know that caregiving is demanding, both physically and ment...
Read More
How do I tell someone I'm dating that I had cancer?
Telling someone you are dating that you're a cancer survivor can be difficult and especially if ...
More Answers
What should I drink if I have cancer-related nausea?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
If you have nausea: Avoid beverages with caffeine or alcohol. Clear, cool beverages are often ...
More Answers
Are There Tests for Predicting Cancer?
Are There Tests for Predicting Cancer?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.