When can I expect to feel stress during my experience with cancer?

Some cancer survivors may not feel a great deal of stress during their experience with cancer. However, many describe the times when they are newly diagnosed, going through treatment, and immediately after treatment ends as some of the most stressful times.

Finishing treatment and seeing the healthcare team less frequently can add to worries about health. You may notice added stress in your life anytime you experience a significant change such as a change in jobs and insurance plans. Concerns about changes in important areas of your life, such as relationships, finances, or work, can also add stress. A move to a new city and need to find a new healthcare team may also add stress.

Adjusting to change is not always easy. Being aware in advance of events and situations that might cause stress can help. You may not be able to predict when these events will come or how much impact they will have on your life. If unpredictable events and situations cause you to feel overwhelmed or helpless, you can learn and practice some simple skills that can help you handle symptoms of stress as you experience them.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Maintain Your Emotional Well-Being During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Multiple myeloma is a treatable disease, but not, at this point, a curable one. Even entry into remission doesn’t signal the end of worries and concer...
How do patients deal with their emotions after cancer treatment?
It is common to experience stress, depression, and anxiety during and after cancer treatment. Many p...
What are symptoms of infertility after cancer treatments?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Some cancer survivors do not realize that fertility has been affected until they try to have childre...
Why Is It Important to Communicate with My Partner About My Cancer?