What are treatments for health issues facing cancer survivors?

Radiation can damage coronary arteries, so we need to aggressively manage blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes and encourage patients to manage their weight in order to prevent them from developing accelerated heart disease. We can also treat sexual dysfunction associated with treatment for cancers near the pelvis (cervical, uterine, bladder, prostate), reduce the risk for osteoporosis and address early-onset menopause and infertility in female cancer survivors. Depression and fatigue can also be problematic. Patients don’t have to just grin and bear it. There are ways to manage symptoms that persist. We want to make sure patients and their doctors are aware of that.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
How do patients deal with their emotions after cancer treatment?
It is common to experience stress, depression, and anxiety during and after cancer treatment. Many p...
If I have cancer, what should I expect during a paracentesis?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During a paracentesis (a procedure in which fluid is taken from the abdominal cavity to be examined)...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?