What is a cancer support group?

A cancer support group is a way to connect you with people in a similar medical situation.

Support groups meet on a regular basis in a variety of ways, making it easy to find one that is most convenient for you. Some cancer support groups meet online, while others may talk over the phone or meet face-to-face. Licensed social workers or other medical professionals facilitate most cancer support groups.

Support groups may include people who are being treated for cancer, survivors or family members. Some cancer support groups are defined by diagnosis, age or sex.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
Why is it so hard for me to tell others I have cancer?
Stewart B. Fleishman, MDStewart B. Fleishman, MD
Learning that you have cancer is hard enough; sharing the news with others can be nearly as difficul...
What foods should I eat if I have a dry mouth from cancer treatment?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Here are some tips to help with dry mouth related to cancer treatment: Drink 8 to 12 cups of liq...
Should People with Cancer Try Alternative Therapies?