What exercises can I do in bed after cancer surgery?

The days following cancer surgery, you can start your exercise program while in bed with some simple exercises. If something hurts, stop, and try a different exercise. Do only those exercises that are appropriate for your condition or that have been approved by your doctor.
  • Hand Squeeze: Squeeze an exercise sponge ball or putty in your hand. Gently work your fingers on the ball or putty.
  • Elbow Wings: Lie on your back (or sit up in your bed) and place your hands behind your head with your elbows flat against the bed. Slowly bring your elbows together in front of your face. Bring elbows back to the starting point.
  • Wrist Curls: While in bed, turn your palms up, make a fist and curl your wrist up. Hold for a count of six and then relax.
  • Shoulder Shrug: While sitting up in bed, relax your hands in your lap. Shrug your shoulders up towards your ears and then slowly drop them down. Repeat.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
What are my options for having children if I have cancer?
Good In BedGood In Bed
If you didn't take precautionary action for preserving your fertility before cancer treatment, y...
How can I motivate someone who has cancer to exercise?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Exercise can have a positive effect on everyone’s quality of life, including someone who has cancer....
Why Is It Important to Communicate with My Partner About My Cancer?