What should I ask my cancer doctor about my life expectancy statistic?

Even though life expectancy statistics can be confusing and at times frustrating, healthcare professionals feel it is the easiest way to talk with you about life expectancy. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for further explanation and to keep asking until the answer is clear to you.

Here are some questions you may ask your doctor about life expectancy:

• Did the people that the statistic is based on receive the same treatment that I received?
  • If my life expectancy is 10-20 years, does this mean 10-20 years without the cancer coming back?
  • If the cancer comes back, does that affect my life expectancy?
  • Are there any special circumstances, such as other illnesses or late effects of treatment, that could affect my life expectancy?
  • Is there anything I can do to increase my life expectancy?
  • How does my treatment compare to that used in the study?
  • Can other health conditions affect my survival rate?
  • Are there other treatments that may be helpful?
  • What types of healthy living habits might help me?

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
When should I talk to my cancer doctors about fertility concerns?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you have not yet started treatment for cancer, discuss fertility risks with a fertility specialis...
Who do I need to tell that I have cancer?
Stewart B. Fleishman, MDStewart B. Fleishman, MD
You don't need to tell everyone in your life about your cancer, but certain people will need to know...
Why Is It So Hard for Me to Tell Others I Have Cancer?