How should I prepare food if I have a sore throat from cancer treatment?

If you have a sore throat or mouth, follow these tips when preparing food:
  • Eat your favorite foods, but blend or grind to soften them. It is easier to blend warm food. For example, if you like vegetable soup, heat, then blend it. Cut meats up in small pieces, add gravy, and blend.
  • Make stews, casseroles, and simmered foods by adding more liquid to make them softer.
  • To moisten foods, use butter, gravies, or cream sauces on meats and vegetables.
  • Soak or dunk foods in coffee, tea, milk, cocoa, or warm beverages. Dry foods can scratch delicate tissues in your mouth and throat.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
When should I talk to my cancer doctors about fertility concerns?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you have not yet started treatment for cancer, discuss fertility risks with a fertility specialis...
Can I try to lose weight if I'm being treated for cancer?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should not try to lose weight if you're being treated for cancer. For people with cancer, taking...
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?