How should I prepare food if I have a sore throat from cancer treatment?

If you have a sore throat or mouth, follow these tips when preparing food:
  • Eat your favorite foods, but blend or grind to soften them. It is easier to blend warm food. For example, if you like vegetable soup, heat, then blend it. Cut meats up in small pieces, add gravy, and blend.
  • Make stews, casseroles, and simmered foods by adding more liquid to make them softer.
  • To moisten foods, use butter, gravies, or cream sauces on meats and vegetables.
  • Soak or dunk foods in coffee, tea, milk, cocoa, or warm beverages. Dry foods can scratch delicate tissues in your mouth and throat.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Acupuncture for Cancer-Treatment-Induced Hot Flashes
When Cybill Shepherd recorded the Menopause Blues (it’s on You Tube) in 2004 she crooned about “those hot flashin’, mood swingin’” miseries. But we be...
How do I manage my cancer on a daily basis?
Coping with cancer is not easy, and each person deals with the disease in his or her own way. After ...
How can I help my child focus on school if I'm being treated for cancer?
If you are being treated for cancer, you'll want to be as vigilant as you were before about making s...
Why Is It So Hard for Me to Tell Others I Have Cancer?