How should I monitor my exercise intensity if I have cancer?

If you have cancer, there are three main ways you can monitor your intensity level while you exercise:
  • Heart rate = heart beats per minute: To take your pulse and keep it within your set heart rate, follow the guidelines specified by your rehab specialist.
    • Exertion scale: Rate your exertion level using the following scale
      0: No effort
      1: Very Easy
      2: Easy
      3: Moderate
      4: Somewhat hard
      5: Hard
      7: Very hard
      9: Very, very hard
      10: Maximal

Ideally with exercise you should stay between the 1 and 4 level or as directed by your cancer rehabilitation therapist. At this level you should be able to hold a conversation with someone. If you get beyond 4, you are working too hard and need to slow down.
      • Abnormal symptoms: Listen to your body for any abnormal symptoms that you may be having and take the appropriate action by stopping exercise.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
        If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
        What are the dietary recommendations for someone with cancer?
        Kalli Castille, MS, RD, CSO, LDKalli Castille, MS, RD, CSO, LD
        A great resource to provide information for food, nutrition, and cancer is the American Institute of...
        If I have cancer, when should I call my doctor while exercising?
        Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
        If you have cancer, listen to your body for any abnormal symptoms that you may be having and take th...
        Why Is It Important to Communicate with My Partner About My Cancer?