How can hypnosis help someone with cancer?

Hypnosis is an artificially induced sleep-like condition of high concentration, characterized by heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction. Hypnosis can be used in people with cancer to:
  • Block the awareness of pain
  • Change sensations from unpleasant to comfortable
  • Increase relaxation
  • Reduce stress

How it's used: A hypnotherapist who is licensed in the healing arts can perform hypnosis. You also can be taught to place yourself under a hypnotic state.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Recovering From Cancer Weight Loss
Recovering From Cancer Weight Loss
Many people with cancer experience weight loss, which can be a result of both having cancer and some of the therapies used to treat cancer. Unexplaine...
How can cancer support resources help me deal with having cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
A variety of cancer support resources can help you learn about cancer and treatment including the re...
What are the dietary recommendations for someone with cancer?
Kalli Castille, MS, RD, CSO, LDKalli Castille, MS, RD, CSO, LD
A great resource to provide information for food, nutrition, and cancer is the American Institute of...
Why Is It Important to Communicate with My Partner About My Cancer?