How can fertility be preserved in young people with cancer?

Jaime M. Vasquez, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
When someone is diagnosed with cancer at a young age it's important to consider fertility preservation as he or she goes through treatment. In males, doctors can obtain a sperm sample, properly preserve it and store it. In females, they can do in vitro fertilization (IVF) and freeze embryos, or they can stimulate the female and obtain eggs and freeze them.

Ovarian tissue can be obtained, frozen and stored as an outpatient procedure. The woman can then proceed with her cancer therapy and keep the ovarian tissue frozen until she is in remission. Because cancer treatments are more effective today than ever before, it's important to be thinking about life after cancer.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
What lingering emotional effects may I experience after cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Some survivors continue to have strong emotions about the cancer experience long after treatment is ...
How can I get support from others if I have cancer?
Living with cancer is not easy. Ask your doctor for a referral to a counselor who specializes in...
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?