How can I find a counselor to help me cope with cancer?

If you are interested in working with a counselor, ask your healthcare team for recommendations. Many hospitals and clinics include social workers or other mental health specialists as part of their team. They work closely with the other team members, often without an extra fee.

If your hospital or clinic cannot help you, you may be referred to a private counselor in your community or to a local family service or nonprofit cancer organization. Ask for several referrals, if possible, so you can interview the counselors and find the one who best meets your needs.

Support groups are also a good place to get referrals for counselors from other survivors. In addition, some cancer organizations and counseling associations provide information and referrals.

Look for a counselor who is experienced with cancer survivorship issues. If possible interview a few counselors before you choose one. Let the counselor know what you want to talk about and then ask if he or she can help you with those issues. If the counselor is not knowledgeable about your areas of concern, ask if you can be referred to someone who has this knowledge and experience.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Can Exercise Help Treat Cancer Symptoms?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, get ready for a new Rx . . . it may surprise you: Exercise. Building on data from around the world, the Clinica...
How might a cancer diagnosis affect my partner emotionally?
Good In BedGood In Bed
When someone is presented with a cancer diagnosis, they often run through a gamut of conflicting...
What is a cancer support group?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
A cancer support group is a way to connect you with people in a similar medical situation. Support ...
Should People with Cancer Try Alternative Therapies?