How can counseling help someone with cancer?

Counseling can help many people with cancer to ease any feelings of hopelessness, fear, depression, and isolation that they may be experiencing. Some topics you may want to talk about or receive advice on include:
  • Side effects of treatment
  • Coping with the physical and psychological effects of cancer
  • Anger
  • Understanding grief
  • Living with cancer
  • Fear and uncertainty

How it's used: Counseling can be received on an individual basis or at group sessions. Help is available on the Internet, through toll-free telephone numbers, and at cancer counseling centers. Therapy is available for those living with cancer, as well as for their family and friends.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
How do I cope when I first find out I have cancer?
Stewart B. Fleishman, MDStewart B. Fleishman, MD
Dealing with a cancer diagnosis can be difficult. Learn an important way to cope when you find out y...
What is cancer-related nausea?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Nausea is the feeling of being queasy or sick to your stomach. It can happen with or without vomitin...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?