Can I try to lose weight if I'm being treated for cancer?

You should not try to lose weight if you're being treated for cancer. For people with cancer, taking on too many challenges is overwhelming. When you are being treated for cancer, the issue of being overweight or obese is secondary. It's more important to get through the initial period of treatment and then, after recovery, to try to lower the risk of a recurrence.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

If you are being treated for cancer, it's important to maintain a healthy weight. Aim to avoid losing or gaining much weight during treatment. Strict dieting is not recommended during cancer treatment. Losing weight can lower your energy level and decrease your body’s ability to fight infection.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

Caregiver Corner: Coping With Cancer in the Family
If cancer has caused you or someone else in your family to become a caregiver, you already know that caregiving is demanding, both physically and ment...
Why should I talk to other people with the same type of cancer as me?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Talking with others with the same type of cancer can be very helpful for some survivors. Those p...
How should I monitor my exercise intensity if I have cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
If you have cancer, there are three main ways you can monitor your intensity level while you exe...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?