Can I try to lose weight if I'm being treated for cancer?

If you are being treated for cancer, it's important to maintain a healthy weight. Aim to avoid losing or gaining much weight during treatment. Strict dieting is not recommended during cancer treatment. Losing weight can lower your energy level and decrease your body’s ability to fight infection.

You should not try to lose weight if you're being treated for cancer. For people with cancer, taking on too many challenges is overwhelming. When you are being treated for cancer, the issue of being overweight or obese is secondary. It's more important to get through the initial period of treatment and then, after recovery, to try to lower the risk of a recurrence.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Living With Cancer

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
What should I ask my cancer doctor about my life expectancy statistic?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Even though life expectancy statistics can be confusing and at times frustrating, healthcare pro...
Why is it so hard for me to tell others I have cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
There are many reasons why it can be difficult to tell others that you are a cancer survivor. You ma...
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?